Yes, Only dogs and cats are accepted by KLM. They charge 75 EUR to 400 EUR per pet depending on the pet’s dimensions and the desired locations. Service dogs are accepted by KLM without any additional charge. They are very well known for their superior customer service and pet-friendly policies.
KLM allows dogs in the cabin and keeps them on board for the majority of their trips. But pets can be carried as checked baggage also. Although there are some destination restrictions, they accept pets on the majority of their flights.
KLM Pet Travel Options
- Pets in Cabin
- As checked baggage
- Cargo Service
At a Glance
|Carry-on Pets||Cats and dogs|
|As Checked Baggage||Allowed|
|Cargo Service||Service Available|
|Service Animal||Allowed (Free)|
|Emotional Support Animal (ESA)||Not Allowed|
|Pets Age||5-10 weeks|
Pets in Cabin Guidelines
KLM accepts pets inside of their cabin to be accompanied by their owners.
- Travelers can bring onboard one pet with them.
Pets as checked baggage
In case the pet is too big to be inside the cabin, they can be checked as baggage on KLM.
- In the hold, you could really carry up to three animals. If they don’t measure over 14 kg each, they could perhaps share a crate.
- Two mature pets can stay inside the same crate or three pets aging less than 180 days can stay in the same crate.
- Pets can not be checked baggage if you have a transit of more than 3 hours.
Pets that are accepted by KLM
Only dogs and cats are accepted by KLM inside of their cabins or in the cargo compartment of the aircraft.
Pets other than cats and dogs as well as pets that surpass the dimensional requirements to be inside the cabin or transported as checked baggage must be shipped via KLM cargo. They do not accept any individual booking for cargo. So, if you are planning to ship your pet via KLM cargo, then contact your nearest pet travel agent.
KLM Pets Travel Fee
You’ll have to pay a cost of EUR 75 to EUR 400 for each one-way trip to transport a family pet with you. We understand that this is a wide pricing range; the cost varies based on your departure point and itinerary. When booking a trip, you may see the precise fee.
Your animal must be at least 5 – 10 weeks old and fly along with the same aircraft as you.
|Service||Carrier height||Carrier width||Carrier length||Weight limit|
|Best Carry-on Pet Carrier||18” or 46 cm||11″ or 28 cm||9″ or 24 cm||8 kg|
|Checked baggage Carrier||122 cm||81 cm||89 cm||75 kg|
- The animal must be able to be accommodated in a compact animal-carrying case or kennel.
- Because you won’t be able to take the pet out from the pet carrier during the trip, make absolutely sure it’s small enough just to move around conveniently.
- The animal must be capable of standing, move around, as well as lay on the floor conveniently without having to touch the ceiling.
- A fiberboard or regular plastic casing should be used for the kennel.
- The kennel’s tires should be excluded or covered with masking tape.
- The gate should be equipped with a fundamental locking mechanism that secures both the ground and top locks. The flap and holding rivets should protrude at least 1.6 cm further than the lateral tubing along with each doorway.
- The crate must be strict enough to avoid the animal from fleeing thru the stitching or joints. Seems to be the kennel divided into two sections? Make sure they’re bolted together. Other types of horizontal closing processes are prohibited.
- There should be two empty pots inside a container for water and food which must be accessible from the outside.
- Within the pet carrier, a bedsheet, magazine, or even other insulating material must be placed on the bottom. It should be noted that straws are not permitted.
- You should not tranquilize the pet, according to KLM. This will take them longer to adjust to their new environment, and their internal temperature could decline during the flight. If you must use a tranquilizer, do so only after consulting with your vet.
- A label with the customer’s title, address, as well as mobile number should be glued to the pet carrier. A tag with the dog’s title should be glued to the kennel’s corner.
- Immunization certificates.
- Travel permits.
- Medical credentials.
- Computer chip.
- Pet passport.
Numerous different rules may apply for transportation outside of the European Union. To discover which information is required, contact the diplomatic staff of the departing, transition, and entrance countries.
Over an international flight, you cannot carry an animal inside the cabin in Deluxe Comfy Class as well as Business Class. It is not ready to store a dog crate somewhere under the chair next to you in these travel courses.
On Embraer aircraft, the maximum crate dimensions for pets as checked baggage are :
|Carrier height||Carrier width||Carrier length|
|102 cm||69 cm||76 cm|
Pets can not be checked as baggage on the following aircraft:
|Boeing 787-9||Boeing 787-10|
- Pets are not accepted as checked baggage on Embraer aircraft from 31st March to 1st November.
Currently, KLM does not accept snub-nosed dogs to fly inside of the cabins. This sort of creature should be carried as checked baggage or by KLM Cargo.
Snub-nosed cats :
Snub-nosed dogs :
|Boston Terrier||Chow Chow||Brussels Griffon|
|Lhasa Apso||Affenpinscher||Mastiff (all breeds)|
|Cane Corso||Great Dane||Bulldog (all breeds)|
|Petit Brabancon (Small Brabant)||Boxer (all breeds)||Pekingese|
|Shar-Pei||Spaniel (Tibetan, Japanese, English)||Pug (all breeds)|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||Shih Tzu||King Charles breeds|
Service and emotional support dogs that have been adequately trained can fly in the cabin with their owners. Apart from dogs, KLM is not obligated to allow therapy animals. KLM charges no additional fees for service dogs.
If a trip segment is 8 hours or longer, KLM may request confirmation showing your dog will not need to empty itself and can do so in a manner that does not pose a health or sanitation risk aboard.
Emotional support animals must be given at least 48 hours’ notice before departure.
- Only dogs are accepted as guide animals.
- If you are bringing service animals onboard with you, then you must download and complete this form. After completing the form, send it to [email protected].
- If you are traveling to the United States with a service dog, then you must fill out this DOT Form.
- The guide dog may well not inhibit a lane or even other regions that need to stay clear for safety purposes. As a result, if you’re traveling with a guide dog, you won’t be able to reserve a departure row seat. You are free to select some other seats.
- The dog must carry a harness for the duration of the flight. Please fasten your safety belt to this strap.
- If the guide dog doesn’t really fit inside the specific seat, you will be assigned to some other seat in the very same travel class.
- You can purchase a container that complies with the regulations in case there are no empty seats available when the dog can not accommodate within the seat you paid for.
Emotional Support Animals
Emotional support dogs are not accepted by KLM on all other routes.
The airplanes have a restricted capacity for animals; the number of pets they may transport varies depending on the kind of aircraft, location, and operating carrier. Upon reserving your travel, kindly book a room for your companion as quickly as possible or at least two days before your flight’s departure.
At the air terminal, They will use an assessment form to ensure that the companion, documents required, and crate all fulfill the criteria. Kindly arrive at the terminal three hours prior to actually your scheduled flight because this procedure may take a bit of time.
How do I add a pet to my KLM flight?
- Contact KLM customer service at least two days before the flight’s departure.
- Provide them all the required information.
- Pay a visit to the vet to make sure the pet is all set to fly.
- If you’re traveling outside of Europe, then always consult with the target nations embassy to learn about the rules and regulations.
- Purchase a container that complies with the guidelines provided by KLM and make your pets used to the container.
- Do not feed your pet within 2 hours of the flight’s departure.
- Check-in with extra time on hand.
- You must call KLM at least 48 hours ahead of time of your departure to enroll your animal. Your furry companion will not be allowed on the aircraft if you do not sign up ahead of schedule.
- You must inform the person arranging the registration that you’ll be flying with an animal in the cabin when you phone to secure your ticket.
- KLM has a ban on the majority of dog and cat breeds that may face breathing problems while on air. So check the “Breed Restrictions” section carefully and if the name of your pet’s breed is absent from the table but you think that your pet is a brachycephalic one, then contact KLM customer service to clear out your doubts.
- KLM is pretty strict in terms of accepting service dogs in their cabins. So make sure your service dog knows how to behave while in public. If they show any aggressive behaviors, KLM will certainly refuse to accept the dog. As guide dogs travel without containers, make sure the dog does not relieve himself/herself while on air.
Is KLM a pet-friendly airline?
Small cats and dogs are allowed in the economy cabin on most KLM flights, as well as in business class on flights inside Europe. Dogs are allowed in the cabin providing the total weight of the pet and carrier does not exceed 18 pounds (8 kg)
Is it true that KLM allows dogs in international cabins?
In the cabin, you are allowed to bring one cat or dog.
Does KLM allow pets in the cabin?
KLM accepts pets inside of their cabin to be accompanied by their owners. Travelers can bring onboard one pet with them.
How strict is KLM with pet carriers?
KLM has some rigid regulations when it comes to pet carriers. If the guidelines are not properly followed, the pet will be refused to get onboard.
Can dogs travel KLM?
Yes, Only dogs and cats are accepted by KLM. They charge 75 EUR to 400 EUR per pet depending on the pet’s dimensions and the desired locations. Service dogs are accepted by KLM without any additional charge.
Does KLM ship animals?
Yes, KLM is very well known for their superior customer service and pet-friendly policies. KLM allows dogs in the cabin and keeps them on board for the majority of their trips. But pets can be carried as checked baggage also. Although there are some destination restrictions, they accept pets on the majority of their flights.
|Call||(866) 434 0320 +372 66 824 49|
|Service Dog||+1 (844) 797-7723|
KLM Airlines Profile
|Company Name||KLM Royal Dutch Airlines|
|Social Media Pages|