EL AL Airlines Pet Policy: An Overview
|Pets in the cabin||Allowed|
|Pets as checked baggage||Allowed|
|Charges||$100 to $400|
|Containers||Soft or Hard|
|Service dogs||Allowed for free|
|Emotional support dogs||Allowed for free (certification required)|
|Weight||<9 kg (Inside the cabin)|
|Pet’s age||Not specified|
EL AL allows travelers to take pets with them in several ways.
- Pets in the cabin ✔️
- Pets as checked baggage ✔️
- Cargo ✔️
Only Small pets are allowed to travel inside the cabins with their owners. Pets that weigh under 9 kg, including their containers, are allowed inside the cabins. Only these pets are allowed inside the cabins :
- Exotic birds
Large pets need to be transported as checked baggage as there is not enough room for them in the cabins. Pets weighing 9 kg to 100 kg, including their cage, can be transported as checked baggage.
If your pet is extra-large or traveling alone, it must be transported through EL AL Airlines’s cargo division. Pets that weigh over 100 kg, including their containers, must be transported as cargo.
- Carrying crates must be sturdy and include three to four ventilation holes and an aluminum door.
- The ventilation holes’ size should stop a pet from poking the tip of its nose and limbs out.
- The crate’s door must be fastened with cable fasteners at each of the 4 door edges so that it does not open throughout the flight because of mobility or the pet itself.
- Tires are allowed, but they should be locked.
- There should be pots for food and water inside the container.
- 2 mature animals or three young animals can be transported per container.
- Soft containers are only allowed in the plane’s cabin. They are prohibited from being in the freight hold as they cannot be securely stored there.
Container dimensions can vary depending on the aircraft.
|Dreamliner 787 – Economy class||8 inches||8 inches||13 inches|
|Dreamliner (787) – Premium class||7 inches||7 inches||17 inches|
|Dreamliner (787) – Business class||9 inches||10 inches||17 inches|
|737 Aircraft – Economy class||7 inches||15 inches||16 inches|
|737 aircraft – Business class||7.5 inches||12 inches||12 inches|
Costs depend on the size of your pet.
|Weight (Including the container)||Cost|
|Under 9 kg||$100|
|From 9 kg to 50 kg||$200|
|From 50 kg to 100 kg||$400|
You have to contact the cargo division of EL AL Airlines to know the charges for transporting pets as cargo. Contact information is provided below.
You have to take authorization from Israel’s Agricultural Ministry in order to be able to transport pets with you.
You must contact the appropriate authorities in the target and destination countries to transport a pet. They will assist you in completing the necessary paperwork.
Some common documents are :
- Medical certificate.
- Vaccination certificates.
- Pet passport.
Documents can vary depending on the destination country.
Usually, your veterinarian will help you get all the permits when transporting pets from Israel.
You must send the documents to the EL AL office at least 2 days before the flight. You must also have the documents with you at the check-in counter. With the documents, your pet will be accepted.
If your dog weighs over 9 kg, including the container, the destination country may require a bill of lading. The EL AL cargo división will help you get through with a bill of lading. Ensure you have these documents ready and email these documents to the below-given email address of the cargo division as one PDF file.
- Size of the container.
- Complete details of the dog’s owner and the itinerary.
- License to export.
- Bill of lading.
- Medical certificate.
- Authorization of transport from the target country.
If you’re traveling to one of the locations mentioned below, you can not take a pet with you inside the cabins.
Pets can not be transported as cargo from the below-mentioned airports :
There are additional regulations in place for taking dogs to the United States. Remember to read and comply with these: Regulations For Transporting Dogs To The United States.
Pets that show apparent and visible indications of disease and/or create a bad smell may not be allowed to fly.
Containers that are taller than 80 cm are not allowed on 737 aircraft.
EL AL Airlines allows service dogs to travel with their owners for free.
- Only dogs are accepted as service animals.
- You have to provide a training certificate.
- Other documents, like regular dogs, will also be required.
Emotional support dogs are accepted because they are properly trained and have the official certificate.
Ensure they know about your pets at least two days before the journey.
You must check in, having a minimum of 2 hours to spare.
- Make sure the pet is accustomed to the container.
- Remove the wheels from the container before onboarding.
- Contact your veterinarian as early as possible, as the authorization process can take a long time.
- Make sure you pick up your pet from the airport just in time.
Does EL AL Airlines allow pets?
EL AL Airlines allows pets to be transported as carry-on baggage, checked baggage, and cargo.
How much does EL AL Airlines charge for pets?
They charge $100 for pets that weigh under 9 kg, $200 for pets that weigh between 9 to 50 kg, and $400 for pets that weigh 50 to 100 kg.
Does EL AL Airlines allow service and emotional support to pets?
Yes, they allow both service and emotional support animals onboard. But the pets should have official training certificates.
Is any specific breed banned from traveling through EL AL Airlines?
No, no specific breed of animal is banned. Though EL AL does not allow sick pets or pets that stink.
|Agricultural Ministry||Full Details|
|Cargo Division||[email protected] +972 3971 6679|
|+972 3977 1111|